And to show just how much they are punching above their weight, of the 5,000 albums released this year, only 11% have been by female artists.
Female artists also do well in the best selling albums of this century, but the most remarkable feature is that the first ten are all British. The list is:
1. Back to Bedlam- James Blunt 3,239,713
2. Back to Black- Amy Winehouse 3,092,198
3. No Angel- Dido 3,062,777
4. Spirit- Leona Lewis 3,034,653
5. White Ladder- David Gray 2,940,575
6. 1- The Beatles 2,898,235
7. Life For Rent- Dido 2,866,350
8. Beautiful World- Take That 2,820,079
9. A Rush of Blood to the Head- Coldplay 2,768,947
10. Hopes and Fears- Keane 2,761,649.
Deservedly, Amy Winehouse is set to take over the top spot very soon, although it’s my bet that Adele, who is at No 12 with 21 will have overtaken her by the end of the year.